Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Team Meeting
July 12, 2011 (Approved)
Present: Tom Heinrich, Bill Fredrick, Dick Ruohoniemi, Charlie Olson, Pastor Mark Bents, and Allan Grant
Call to Order: President Tom Heinrich called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
Devotions: Tom Heinrich led opening devotions.
Adoption of Agenda: A motion was made by Dick and seconded by Bill to adopt the Agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Bill and seconded by Dick to approve the minutes from the June 14, 2011 Executive Team meeting as written. Motion approved.
Report of Officers:
Treasurer/Director of Operations:
June 2011 receipts excluding the Donor Directed Benevolences were $3,008 above budget. Year to date we are almost $7,900 below budget. Disbursements as expected were higher than receipts by $11,635 for the month. Year to date disbursements are $20,722 over receipts. The Building Fund was $1,355 below what is needed for the month. There was a $5,000 transfer from the Mortgage Reserve Fund as authorized by the Council to cover shortfalls for the summer months.
A motion was made by Allan and seconded by Bill to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented. Motion approved.
Property report of needed repairs: Charlie Olson presented the Executive Team with needed repairs in priority order. It has been discovered that there is a water leak. It appears the leak is in the hot water lines somewhere in the older part of the church. This is serious and it is being checked at this time. Charlie will keep Tom informed. The repair of this leak is the 1st priority of needed repairs. It was determined that some repairs of the parking lot are necessary. Cracks need filling to keep from expanding and the north entrance requires repair. Estimates are $5,500. This is the 2nd priority of the Executive Team. The Executive Team requested that Charlie put on hold the installation of a water softener at this time.
It was also reported that Roger Dissmeyer has made the necessary repairs to the roof of the Chapel. All loose shingles have been repaired.
Dick was asked to list the steps that are needed to assure that Prince of Peace has the dollars to pay all expenses in the next months if giving does not improve. These steps will include the possibility of a plan to borrow from existing church funds or establishing a “line of credit”. Dick will report his findings in August.
Special Gifts Campaign: The Giving Team chaired by Vicky Weber and the Special Gifts Team chaired by Ron Welde have been working together to develop a multi-step effort to encourage any member that is currently behind in their pledged amount to “catch up”. Also all members will be encouraged to increase giving to Prince of Peace to cover our expenses in the coming months. If there is a positive vote to extend a Call for our next Senior Pastor at the Special Congregational Meeting on Sunday, July 17, 2011, an “I’m In” campaign will be announced. This campaign will be to every member to cover needed expenses for our new Senior Pastor. The goal of this campaign will be $36,000.
- · Review of agenda for Special Congregational Meeting: Tom presented a draft of the agenda after review a motion was made to approve the agenda by Allan and seconded by Bill. Motion approved.
- · Executive Team Goal Review: Tom led the Executive Team members through a review of our goals.
- · Cross Communication with Teams: A review of communications and the need to continue the work of improving communication between staff, council and members was stressed.
- · Tom reported that Giving Team Chair Vicky Weber will be asked to address the full Council at their August meeting.
- · Tom will announce that the Council has appointed Cindi Lindquist as the new Council member for Spiritual Development on Sunday.
- · River of Life Update: Tom shared a report on the River of Life kitchen construction. See attached report.
Vice President’s Report:
Leave a Legacy Report – Bill reported that there has been no action since last month.
Pastor Mark –Pastor Mark has held a meeting with all worship leaders to discuss worship plans for June – August. Lynell Keller has developed a grid that clearly shows the worship plans for each Sunday. This grid lays out the weekly themes, preaching schedule and who will be doing what in the worship service. Meetings will also be established to plan the worship themes for the rest of the year.
- Worship Improvement Discussion: Pastor Mark continues to meet with staff on a weekly basis to enhance worship and try to have the experience move more smoothly (see Pastor Mark’s report).
- Update on lights in the front of the sanctuary: The Worship Enhancement Team is working on improving them and making the lights an enhancement to the sanctuary. Allan was asked to keep in contact with Judy Chagnon and the Worship Enhancement Team for updates on this project.
Bill informed the Executive Team that the installation of a Flag Pole that a member wished to give Prince of Peace will be delayed.
A motion was made by Dick and seconded by Allan to adjourn the Executive Team meeting. Motion approved. The meeting was adjourned.