Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
January 15, 2013 (Approved)
Present: Tom Heinrich, Jennifer Follestad, Bill Fredrick, Pastor Chad Brekke, AIM Natalia Terfa, Dan Ficken, Julia Sevald, Bev Alsleben, Dan Cassada, Mary Gilleshammer, and Allan Grant.
Absent: Chuck Krych
Guest: Melissa Johnson
Call to Order: President Tom Heinrich called the meeting to order.
Devotions: Dan Ficken led us in Devotions
Adoption of Agenda: A motion was made by Dan Ficken and seconded by Dan Cassada to adopt the Council agenda as presented. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Jennifer Follestad and seconded by Julia Sevald to approve the minutes from the December 18, 2012 Council meeting as written. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers
Treasurer’s/Business Administrator’s Report: Notable December activity:
- · December envelope offerings were higher than budgeted. However, total December receipts are unfavorable to budget by $6,997 mainly because $10,000 of the Greendahl estate gift was moved to designated funds to cover a portion of the sign expenses in 2013. Disbursements are unfavorable to budget by $5,681. The general fund activity for the month was a gain of $5,998. This is unfavorable to budget for the month and to prior year (gain of $10,251 in December 2011).
- · Year to date receipts are still unfavorable to budget by $21,322. However, disbursements are favorable to budget by $51,195 resulting in an overall positive variance to budget YTD of $29,874.
- · The adult mission trips and digital sign were the only designated funds with significant activity in December.
- · The 2013 budget was discussed and adopted by the congregation at the December 16th Special Congregational Meeting.
- · Additionally, in 2013, the Treasurer’s report will be a combined report of the general fund and building fund in order to give more visibility to the council and congregation.
A motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was made by Bill Fredrick and seconded by Mary Gilleshammer. Motion approved.
President Tom Heinrich reminded the Council that the Annual Meeting of the Congregation will be held on Sunday, January 27, 2013 beginning at 12:00 Noon in the sanctuary.
Vice-President’s Report: The Endowment/Leave A Legacy Team has approved $1,200 to go to the costs of the Community Dinners that will begin soon. The Team requests formal approval of this allocation of funds.
A motion to approve a $1,200 donation to the Community Dinners at Prince of Peace from the Endowment/Leave A Legacy Funds was made by Allan Grant and seconded by Dan Ficken. Motion approved.
Secretary’s Report: No Report
Pastor Chad’s Report:
- · Pastor Chad shared his written report that will appear in the Annual Meeting materials. He shared that the planning is ongoing for the February Council retreat. He was pleased to announce that 18 people have signed up to accompany him to Africa on June 12-26, 2013. He will be traveling to Nigeria to dedicate the facilities that he has overseen and will be in Africa February 21- March 6, 2013.
- · Bishop Svennungsen of the Minneapolis Area Synod has to reschedule her visit to Prince of Peace until Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 9:30 am. Council and staff are invited to visit with her.
- · The new Church sign is scheduled to be installed on January 24, 2013.
AIM Natalia’s Report:
- · Natalia shared her written report that will appear in the Annual Meeting materials. She shared that she continues to be pleased with the support that the congregation has given to GroupLife. It is exciting to see so many people involved in this new ministry.
Each ministry team is to submit a written report each month. These will be attached to the official minutes. Highlights will be included in these minutes.
Executive Team: No Report
- · The Monday night and Tuesday night Men’s Bible Studies continued and expanded by 4 members.
- · Spiritual Development will be planning 2 big speaker events on Saturday mornings, one in the spring and one in the fall.
- · Small Group Bible Studies was finally successfully initiated by Natalia and has been a huge success.
Sunday Morning Experience:
- · The accomplishments of 2012 were reviewed to set the table for a discussion of 2013goals.
- · The priorities for 2013 were determined; CPR for Nursery & some Sunday School teachers, Gift bag enhancement, Team captain meeting follow ups, Volunteer thank you program.
Congregational Care: No Report
- · In the new year, we would like to clarify our role as the Outreach Team
- · Feb. 2nd is service Sat. at TreeHouse and they are determining a project for us and are going to invite youth from the TreeHouse to work with us.
- · We will host a community meal for Mar 2nd which is a service Saturday.
- · We would like to offer our members a chance to help Discover Church with Families Moving Forward so we can learn from them. We would then invite Discover to help at POP with the ongoing community meals we will continue after March. We feel the churches in the Brooklyns need to unite to address the varying needs of our community.
- · We spoke to code enforcement at the city again and are looking for a Certified Food Manager to ensure we have all our bases covered. We can proceed as is, and someone from the city will come out the morning of Mar. 2 as we prepare the meal.
Community Life: No Report
Unfinished Business: None
- · Discussion regarding the Continuing Resolutions entitled; Restricted Fund Transfer dated April, 19, 2011, Loan against Restricted Funds to Cover General Fund Shortfalls dated August 16, 2011 and Designated Fund Management dated September 20, 2011was held. Allan Grant made a motion to rescind these Continuing Resolutions; entitled “Restricted Fund Transfer” dated April, 19, 2011, “Loan against Restricted Funds to Cover General Fund Shortfalls” dated August 16, 2011 and” Designated Fund Management” dated September 20, 2011. The motion was seconded by Bev Alsleben. Motion approved.
- · The 2013 Annual Meeting agenda was presented and reviewed.
- · The 2013 list of candidates from the Nominating Committee was presented. Julia Sevald made a motion to accept the list of nominations from the nominating Committee with deep gratitude for their work. The motion was seconded by Dan Cassada. Motion approved.
- · Lenten Offerings were discussed.
- · The need to meet the requirements of the ELCA regarding the Prince of Peace constitution was discussed. In order for POP to amend the constitution as proposed by the Council all changes made to the Model Constitution for Congregations must be incorporated without change as required by the Constitution of the ELCA. A motion was made by Allan Grant to present an updated constitution including all required changes and the 3 amendments approved at the December 16, 2012 Special Congregational Meeting to the 2013 Annual meeting. The motion was seconded by Dan Ficken. Motion approved.
A motion was made by Dan Ficken and seconded by Dan Cassada to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved. Meeting adjourned.