February 2013 Council Minutes

February 2013 Council Minutes

Prince of Peace Lutheran Church

Council Meeting

February 19, 2013 (Approved)

 

Present:   Sue Johnson, Erik Hasse, Morgan Holle, Jennifer Follestad, Bill Fredrick, Pastor Chad Brekke, AIM Natalia Terfa, Dan Ficken, Julia Sevald, Bev Alsleben, Dan Cassada,

Absent:  Georgia Larson

Guest:  Andrew Follestad

 

Call to Order:  President Bill Fredrick called the meeting to order.

 

Devotions:  Bill Fredrick led us in Devotions

 

Additions to the Agenda: Under the President’s report, the April 20th Council Retreat should be a Council/Staff Retreat. Under New Business: Discuss a gift for Pastor Jim to present to him at the March 17th celebration. Discuss the Bishop’s visit.

 

Adoption of Agenda:  A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Dan Cassada to adopt the Council agenda as presented.  Motion approved.

 

Approval of Previous Minutes:  A motion was made by Bev Alsleben and seconded by Dan Cassada to approve the minutes from the January 15, 2013 Council meeting as written.  Motion approved.

 

Reports of Officers

Treasurer’s/Business Administrator’s Report:  Notable January activity:

  • ·        January offerings were significantly lower than budgeted.  Total January receipts are unfavorable to budget by $16,195 and prior year.  Disbursements are slightly favorable to budget by $275.  The general fund activity for the month was a loss of $16,195.  This is unfavorable to budget for the month and to prior year.
  • ·        There was a significant reduction in the cash balance or the month, partially due to the monthly deficit and partially due to some large disbursements from the designated funds.  There was $19,417 distributed from the designated funds during January.  A large portion of this was money that had been designated as CEAP funds which was sent over to CEAP.
  • ·        The CEAP and Youth Ministry Registration & Fees were the only designated funds with significant activity in January.

 

A motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was made by Jennifer Follestad and seconded by Morgan Holle.  Motion approved.

 

*Julia Sevald will complete the Quarterly Budget Review in April, most likely the weekend between Executive and Full Council (April 14th) so she can share the information at the April Council Meeting.

 

President’s Report:

            President Bill Fredrick announced that the Retreat on April 20th is a Council and Staff Retreat. We will meet at Prince of Peace from 8:00am until 12:00-1:00pm. A light breakfast and lunch will be served.

            He also clarified the designated funds – any new, incoming funds will go to either one of the five ministry teams or a current project (our sign, at this time). Money can also be given to the general fund or be given as undesignated. In the case of undesignated funds, the Council will make the decision of where that money will go.

 

Vice-President’s Report:  Sue Johnson was unable to attend the Leave a Legacy meeting, as it coincided with another meeting. Pastor Chad was able to sit in on part of this meeting.

 

Secretary’s Report:  Melissa Johnson requested updated contact information to ensure that e-mails are getting to all Council members.  President Bill Fredrick received a contact sheet from Lynell Keller that was distributed to everyone.   

 

Pastoral Reports: 

Pastor Chad’s Report:   

  • ·        As stated in Pastor Chad’s written report, our income for ministry got off to a very slow start in the first month of the new year.  Offerings for January were well below the first month of last year.  He encourages all our leaders and members to be mindful of the great blessing it is to be faithful stewards and joyful givers!
  • ·        Pastor Chad will be leaving for Tanzania on Thursday.

 

AIM Natalia’s Report:

  • ·        GroupLife is finishing up its winter session.  It has gone really well, with many groups reporting significant steps taken together in the depth they are going together.  Groups will break for Lent, and will start up the week of April 7th (one week after Easter).  The spring session will be a Bible study, on the book of 1 Corinthians. 
  • ·        Natalia mentioned that she is still looking into finding a book to do book study with the entire congregation. She has two books that she is looking into right now, and Bill Fredrick offered another title that could be a possibility.

 

Council Reports

Each ministry team is to submit a written report each month.  These will be attached to the official minutes.  Highlights will be included in these minutes.

 

Executive Team:  No Report

 

  • ·        Spiritual Growth:  Georgia Larson noted in her written report that February served as a period of orientation with the workings of the group with the most recent switch in leadership. Georgia will set up a meeting with the Spiritual Growth Team, as well as staff members that are involved with Spiritual Growth. She currently has a meeting set up with Natalia. The other tasks currently in process include gaining a sense of definition, scope and jurisdiction of Spiritual Growth, as well as setting goals for the next one to two years.

   

Sunday Morning Experience: No Report

 

Congregational Care:  No Report 

 

Outreach:  The February meeting was held to finalize plans for the community meal that will be held on March 2nd.  In March, the Outreach team will be doing some goal-setting and will begin to ask various ministries at PoP to organize monthly Service Saturdays. The CEAP Committee also met to discuss information from the board and set plans for the upcoming months.

 

Community Life:  No Report

 

 

Unfinished Business: 

  • ·        Our sign is done. The software is not really easy to use, but it works. Pastor Chad is looking into whether or not this software could be updated at some time.
  • ·        The back sign is being renovated and should be done soon.
  • ·        See Lynell or Kathy if you need a key to the building.
  • ·        It would be great if any Council members could stop in to the New Membership meeting this Sunday after the 10:30 service to introduce themselves.

 

New Business:

  • ·        We discussed having a small pot of spicy chili at the Lenten dinner on Wednesday. Natalia mentioned there seemed to be a positive response to this amongst the staff. Julia Sevald asked for Council members to bring a dessert for the dinner. Julia, Sue and Melissa will bring dessert to share. Several Council members mentioned that they will arrive early to help set up for dinner.
  • ·        It was decided that we would like to get a gift to present to Pastor Jim at the celebration on Sunday, March 17th. Many ideas were discussed, including a book, gift certificate to a restaurant (Good Earth), a homemade quilt, a prayer shawl, some other type of keepsake – perhaps Marva Sheriff would have something. E-mail Bill Fredrick if you have any additional ideas.
  • ·        There is an upcoming opportunity to go to a meeting with the Bishop on March 16th. If you are interested, let Bill Fredrick know. He will e-mail out additional information.

 

A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Sue Johnson to adjourn the meeting.  Motion approved.  Meeting adjourned.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Johnson

Secretary

 

Share this post onShare on Facebook
Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *