Kings and Commanders
(click the title above for the sermon)
While it is nearly (or is by the time you’re reading this) the 4th of July, we are talking about dependence. That’s right, the good word for us today is that we are not in fact, our own masters. Rather we take our orders from the King, Jesus Christ. And although Jesus indeed has a mission for us, it is not what He sends us out to do that is the point. In fact, it’s what He has already done that we are here to celebrate.
We learn from our 2 Kings text that even the mightiest warriors can come to depend on someone seemingly so far below them. And our Gospel illustrates just how much we can rely on Christ, wherever we may be, wherever we have been sent and in anything we are called to do.
- Are you going through life trying to make it on your own? You don’t have to. We have been given a partner, a community even, to do life with!
- Are you relying only on things, on stuff, to fulfill your needs? We were made for relationships. We need each other.
- Are you chasing after achievement to find joy? God gives us lasting joy in the promise of His Kingdom come through Christ.
Questions to Ponder or Discuss
1. On whom have you had to depend? Who has depended on you?
2. Are you comfortable relying on others?
3. How do these themes of dependence & independence relate to our faith?
Allow yourself to accept help!
Extend gracious hospitality to anyone who asks.