Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
July 10, 2012 (Approved)
Present: Tom Heinrich, Julia Sevald, Bill Fredrick, Pastor Chad Brekke, and Allan Grant
Call to Order: President Tom Heinrich called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
Devotions: Bill Fredrick led the opening devotions.
Adoption of the Agenda: A motion was made by Allan Grant and seconded by Julia Sevald
to approve the agenda as presented. Motion Approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Bill Fredrick to approve the minutes from the June 12, 2012 Executive Committee meeting as written. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
Treasurer/Business Administrator: Notable June activity:
- · June offerings were slightly less than budgeted. June receipts are unfavorable to budget by $2,151, however disbursements are favorable to budget by $4,840. The general fund activity for the month was a loss of $7,476. This is favorable to budget for the month and to prior year (loss of $11,635 in June 2011).
- · Year to date receipts are still significantly unfavorable to budget by $30,483, however disbursements are favorable to budget by $23,620 resulting in an overall negative variance to budget YTD of $6,863.
- · With the council resolution that passed in June, a transfer will be made from the Thrivent Mortgage Reserve fund in July to cover the building fund deficiency to date.
A motion was made to accept the Treasures Report by Allan Grant and seconded by Bill Fredrick. Motion approved.
President’s Report: No Report
Vice President’s Report:
Leave A Legacy Update: The total reported balance of funds in the Lutheran Community Foundation account is approximately $149,496. The total reported balance of funds in the Premier Bank Money Market account is approximately $12,248.
Secretary’s Report: Reminder that the Council needs to finalize a new Mission Statement.
Pastoral Report: The ministry we share at Prince of Peace has certainly not taken a vacation for the summer! POPs Camps, Mission Week in the Twin Cities, Vision Trip to Tanzania and Youth Mission Trip to Chicago are just some of the ways our congregation is reaching out with the gospel during the “lazy days” of summer. Add to that list well attended, vibrant worship services, bible studies, work on our buildings and grounds, weddings, funerals, etc., and you begin to get a picture of a community of faith on the move.
A few items of note:
- · The planning and preparation is complete for the new Wednesday evening summer worship services. The first service will be held on July 11, 2012 at 6:30pm. A time of good food and fellowship will preceed the service beginning at 5:30pm.
- · The first annual Vision Trip to Tanzania was a great success. The members of POP on the trip were warmly welcomed everywhere they went. The trip resulted in new financial support for the orphanage and other ministries supported through the POP Africa fund. The trip blog has been visited over 6,000 times indicating a strong interest in this wonderful new POP outreach.
- · There is a strong likelihood that Pastor Chad will need to return to Tanzania for about ten days near the end of February for the dedication of the school on the Neema Orphanage campus, which is nearing completion. This school has been a major focus of his fundraising efforts for several years and our Lutheran partners there will not open the school until it is properly dedicated. Prince of Peace has become the primary partner with this life changing Lutheran school, which will provide education in the fields of orphan care and elder care.
- · The entire staff did a great job handling a busy two weeks of ministry while Pastor Chad was in Africa. A funeral, a wedding and Sunday morning worship were all handled with compassion and creativity.
- · The congregation has adjusted well to the change to one Sunday morning worship service for the summer.
Unfinished Business: None
New Business: None
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Bill Fredrick and seconded by Julia Sevald. Motion approved.