Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
September 15, 2015
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Sue LaGue, Julia Sevald, Kathy Arveson and Christina Jobe
Absent: Tim Marker
Call to Order: President Sue LaGue called the meeting to order at 6:15 pm.
Devotions: Pastor Chad led us in prayer.
Adoption of the Agenda: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe to approve the agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe to approve the minutes from the August 18, 2015 Executive Committee meeting. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
- The committee discussed the success of Rally Day. It might be helpful to increase the number of omelet stations to 8, with one person working 2 stations. Otherwise, people were engaged and stayed late. Both the blended worship service and the activities afterward were deemed meaningful and successful.
- Kathy is working on getting clean data in the databases. Need to get current contact info on members.
- Need to know if we’re renewing our subscription with Volunteer Spot.
- For the month of August, receipts were more than expenses. The general/building fund activity for the month was a loss of ($1,931). This is on budget and similar to prior year.
- Total August offerings were favorable to budget by $7,431 and to prior year by $9,359. Other receipts for August was lower than both budget and prior year.
- Overall, expenses are unfavorable to budget and prior year. The unfavorability to budget is mainly related to timing of benevolence disbursements and copier lease payments in the month as well as increased repairs expense in the month.
- August YTD, receipts are less than expenses by $13,407. This net loss is $13,420 better than budget but unfavorable to 2014 by $21,915.
- The general fund cash balance available for use is $34,679 at the end of August.
- The designated funds with significant activity in August were Adult Mission Trips and Summer Day Camp.
Vice President’s Report:
In Tim’s absence Sue presented the request for Leave a Legacy funds of $1600 to cover scholarships for the summer Day Camps that occurred at PoP. The committee discussed that a better system should be implemented next summer for collecting the Day Camp tuition from families.
Secretary’s Report: None
Senior Pastor’s Report:
- Pastor Chad will be attending the Bishop’s convention at the end of September in Brainerd.
- Pastor Chad will be having lunch with the Bishop to celebrate Chad’s 25th anniversary of ordination.
- PoP will be receiving a donation of $50,000 from benefactors of our church to be used toward the Syria refugee crisis. (Benefactors wish to remain anonymous.) Pastor Chad will bring a proposal to our Bishop to challenge the congregations in our synod to raise funds for the refugee crisis. PoP will then use the $50,000 donation to match those funds raised.
- The money in our Africa fund is mostly designated to finish building a school in a remote region of Tanzania. A synod in Nebraska is the sister synod to this region of Tanzania. Pastor Chad will bring a proposal to the Bishop of the Nebraska synod to challenge the congregations in that synod to raise funds to finish building the school. PoP will then match those funds raised, using another generous donation from our anonymous benefactors.
- Chad will visit Tanzania in January.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Sue LaGue. Motion approved.