Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
October 20, 2015
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Sue LaGue, Tim Marker, Julia Sevald, Kathy Arveson and Christina Jobe
Call to Order: President Sue LaGue called the meeting to order at 6:15 pm.
Devotions: Sue led us in prayer.
Adoption of the Agenda: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Tim Marker to approve the agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Tim Marker to approve the minutes from the September 15, 2015 Executive Committee meeting. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
President’s Report: None
- For the month of September, receipts were less than expenses. The general/building fund activity for the month was a loss of ($12,862). This is unfavorable to both budget and prior year by $6,276 and $6,106, respectively.
- Total September offerings were unfavorable to budget by $4,462 and to prior year by $1,601. Other receipts for September were slightly favorable to both budget and prior year.
- Overall, expenses are unfavorable to budget and prior year. The unfavorability to budget is mainly related to timing of benevolence disbursements, as well as higher repairs and utility expenses in the month.
- September YTD, receipts are less than expenses by $26,268. This net loss is $7,145 better than budget but unfavorable to 2014 by $28,021.
- The general fund cash balance available for use is $22,318 at the end of September.
- There were no designated funds with significant activity in September.
Need to decide if we should move money into a reserve fund at the end of the year, and if so, how much.
Kathy and Julia are about halfway through the budget. They will continue working on it and have a draft for the special Executive Committee meeting on November 9.
Vice President’s Report:
- $200 that was approved for honorariums for the Summer Worship Series, but which was not spent, will be used for signage for the Summer Worship in the Park series
- When the account balances as of 9-30-15 are available, Leave A Legacy will ask Council to determine the amount available for disbursement in 2016
- Discussed possible topics for a workshop this fall or early next year. Kathy will get input from Chad about desired theme/topic and JJ will get some input from Thrivent team on topics that have been of most interest to people and most well attended
- People on the committee will be asked to review the original version of the Plan of Operation from 2001, the revised version from 2005 and the latest draft of the new version that has been circulated and then schedule a special get together to talk just about comments and questions on same and about submitting a draft to Council for consideration
Secretary’s Report: None
Senior Pastor’s Report:
We are off and running into the busy fall ministry schedule. Our Sunday school and youth ministries are in full swing along with GroupLife, music ministries, and other groups that take a break during the summer. Nearly every corner of our large facility at Prince of Peace is in use on Wednesday evenings with confirmation, choir, adult study, daycare and various meetings taking place all at the same time. Talk about holy chaos!
A few items of note as we speed toward Thanksgiving:
- There continues to be a strong early response from synod congregations to the matching funds appeal sponsored by POP toward the work of Lutheran Disaster Response to the refugee crisis in Europe. I will be meeting with the bishop and a delegation from our synod’s partner synod in Leipzig Germany on 10/23 to get a first-hand report of work being done by our Lutheran partners there.
- The adult discussion/class I am leading on Wednesdays has been a great experience attended by about 40 people each week.
- We are welcoming another group of enthusiastic new members this week. A common theme among this group has been an extensive search for a church home that has resulted in choosing POP.
- I will be visiting ministry and outreach partners in Tanzania from 1/25-2/5. A primary focus will be traveling to the remote Rukwa region in the far western part of the country to assess progress on the Neema Secondary School supported through our Africa Fund. A group trip is scheduled for June 16-29.
- I will be leading a stewardship campaign for Celebration Lutheran Church in Sartell, MN. I have led an initial organizational meeting with their leadership and will be the guest preacher for their three weekend services Oct. 31-Nov. 1.
- Give To The Max Day is coming up on November 12. We are excited to have a matching gift donation of $4,000 to help POP beat our last year’s total. As soon as our total for the day reaches $4,000 that amount will be immediately doubled on the way to what we hope will be a new record!
Thanks for your participation in the ministry and outreach we share at Prince of Peace.
- Executive Committee will meet on Monday, November 9 at 5:30 p.m. at church to review the budget for it is presented to Council at the November Council meeting.
- Congregational Budget meeting will be held on Sunday, December 6 at 11:45 a.m. (after the 2nd service).
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Tim Marker. Motion approved.