Executive Team minutes Nvember 2013

Executive Team minutes Nvember 2013

Prince of Peace Lutheran Church

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

November 12, 2013 (Approved) 

Present:  Bill Fredrick, Sue Johnson, Pastor Chad Brekke, Julia Sevald, Kathy Arveson and Melissa Johnson


Absent:  None


Call to Order:  President Bill Fredrick called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.


Devotions: Melissa Johnson led us in devotions.


Adoption of the Agenda:  Bill would like to add reviewing the nominations from the Nominating Committee for the 2104 positions to the agenda. A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Julia Sevald to approve the agenda.  Motion approved.


Approval of Previous Minutes:  A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Sue Johnson to approve the previous minutes. Motion approved.


Reports of Officers:


Treasurer/Director of Operations:

 Notable October activity:

  • ·         Total October offerings & receipts were unfavorable to budget by $15,789 and $3,015 unfavorable to prior year.  Disbursements are favorable to budget by $2,117 and to prior year by $1,912 for the month. 
  • ·         The general fund activity for the month was a loss of $13,313.  This is unfavorable to budget for the month and to prior year.
  • ·         Year to date, we are now unfavorable to budget by $50,716 and to prior year by $59,077.  Beside January, October was the lowest month for net earnings.  In order for the church to end the year at a break-even mark, each week’s Sunday offerings need to be at least $14,185.  This is higher than any individual monthly average giving for all of 2013. 
  • ·         The cash balance has dropped to ($38,309), which means we are borrowing against our designated funds for normal monthly activity.   Staff has been requested to cut out any expenses that are not necessary for the remainder of the year.
  • ·         There were no designated funds with significant activity this month.
  • ·         The exec team is in the process of reviewing the budget in great detail in preparation for the December 8 congregational budget meeting.


A motion was made by Melissa Johnson and seconded by Sue Johnson to approve the treasurer’s report. Motion approved.

  • ·         The annual congregational budget meeting will be held on December 8th. We will hold our December Executive Committee Meeting on Tuesday, December 3rd to finalize the budget.
  • ·         2014 Budget
    • o   We had a lengthy discussion about the 2014 budget. Julia and Kathy will work together to make the necessary changes to the budget and we will present the proposed budget to the full council at our next meeting on Tuesday, November 19th.

President’s Report: 

  • ·         Property report:
    • o   The fire department came through for an inspection. We need to get an address put on the front of the building. We also need to have our exhaust ducts cleaned in the kitchen.


Vice President’s Report: 

Endowment/Leave A Legacy Update

  • ·         We have two endowment proposals to discuss and approve at the next full council meeting on Tuesday, November 19th.
    • o   The Committee voted to recommend to the Congregational Council that a capital disbursement of up to $250.00 be made to the POP Property Committee for landscaping.
    • o   The Committee voted to recommend to the Congregational Council that a benevolence disbursement of $1,000.00 be made to Mission Jamaica. This recommendation is for a benevolence disbursement in 2014 from funds authorized for disbursement for benevolence in 2014.


Secretary’s Report: 

  • ·         We will be adding a new line to the minutes that will include any action items that need to be addressed.


Pastor’s Report:


Pastor Chad:

  • o   Our winter council retreat will be held on Saturday, February 15th.  Pastor Chad is very excited about the speaker that will be coming in that day, Dwight Zscheile. He will be speaking to us for the first hour and then we will have the rest of the time for discussion and planning. This will be a retreat for both council and staff. We are looking to have this event off site.


Unfinished Business: 

  • ·         None.


New Business: 

  • ·         Bill wanted to be sure we were starting to think about year-end reports for those that submit.
  • ·         Bill will be talking to the outgoing council members and asking them to write a summary report that will be given to the incoming council member to help with continuity.
  • ·         We will be having our Council Christmas Party on Tuesday, December 17th. It will be held at Sue Johnson’s. We will begin with a short meeting. It will be a potluck – Sue will organize this and will provide the paper products; Bill will provide beverages. This is for council members and spouses.


Action Items:

  • ·         Julia and Kathy will meet to finalize the proposed budget to be presented to the full council on Tuesday, November 19th.
  • ·         Sue will put together a sign-up sheet for the Christmas Party potluck.


A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Julia Sevald.  Motion approved.


Respectfully submitted,


Melissa Johnson





Share this post onShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *