Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
November 15, 2016
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Sue LaGue, Julia Sevald, and Christina Jobe
Guest: Allan Grant
Call to Order: President Sue LaGue called the meeting to order at 6:04 pm.
Devotions: Sue LaGue led us in prayer.
Adoption of the Agenda: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe to approve the agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe to approve the minutes from the October 18, 2016 Executive Committee meeting. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
Tom Heinrich was called on November 4, because the church alarm went off. There was no sign of breaking and entering. It has been reiterated with everyone who works at the church to remember to securely close the doors when they leave. Tom requested a key to the church office. Tom also requested that we get security cameras outside the church. The Committee agreed that Tom should have a key, and he is welcome to purchase two fake cameras for $12 that will hopefully act as deterrents.
- For the month of October, receipts were lower than expenses.
- The general/building fund activity for the month was a loss of $5,292. This is favorable to budget by $1,941 but unfavorable to prior year by $5,156.
- Total October offerings were higher than budget and prior year by $3,349 and $2,296, respectively. Other receipts for October were lower than both budget and prior year, mainly related to timing of building use income.
- Overall, expenses are lower than both budget and prior year by $1,082 and $367, respectively. The favorability to budget and prior year is related to the timing of benevolence payments.
- For October year to date, receipts are lower than expenses. Offerings year to date are lower than budget and prior year. Expenses are higher than budget and significantly higher than prior year. The increase over prior year is due to increased personnel expense as well as creating a building reserve fund to use for larger building repairs as they come up in addition to additional repairs expense in 2016.
- The general fund cash balance available for use is $18,188 at the end of October.
- There were no designated funds with significant activity in October.
Secretary’s Report: None
Senior Pastor’s Report:
Pastor Chad has posted the job description for Church Administrator on the Minneapolis area synod website job page. The position will be for 25 hours/week.
There was a good initial response to Stewardship Sunday. Pledge cards were mailed today to those who didn’t turn one in on Sunday.
The proposed budget shows a $25,000 deficit due to what we are paying monthly for mortgage payments and what we are paying into a reserve fund.
Julia will make the following adjustments to the budget that will be presented to the Council.
- Remove $5500 from A/V Hardware for the projector screens
- Remove $1000 from Youth relational ministry
- Remove $4,361 from Church Administrator salary
A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe to recommend the $25,000 deficit budget to the Council as discussed during this meeting. Motion approved.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe. Motion approved.