Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
July 8, 2014 (Approved)
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Bill Fredrick,Sue Johnson, Julia Sevald, Kathy Arveson and Melissa Johnson
Call to Order: President Bill Fredrick called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
Devotions: Sue Johnsonled us in devotions.
Adoption of the Agenda.A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Julia Sevald to approve the agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Julia Sevald to approve the previous minutes. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
Notable June activity:
- June receipts were less than expenses. The general/building fund activity for the month was a loss of $2,649. This is favorable to budget for the month by $3,177 and to prior year by $8,670.
- Total June offerings were only slightly below budget, but other receipts were favorable to budget mainly due to building use income. June offerings were favorable to prior year. Expenses for the month are favorable to budget and to prior year.
- Year to date we are still sitting in a positive position overall vs. the budget and prior year. We are $39,345 favorable to budget and $71,579 favorable to prior year. This is partially due to a change in the way we are accounting for our mortgage payment in order to more closely align with the Thrivent statement ($14,724) as well as increased giving and building use income. This favorability should continue throughout the year. Additionally, other expenses are favorable to budget through June mainly related to timing of benefit expenses, reduced IT support expense and supplies.
- The general fund cash balance available for use remains healthy at $43,955 for the year.
- The only designated fund with significant activity in June was Youth Missions.
- Simply Giving continues to be a great option for members to ensure their contributions continue even when they are not here, especially in the summer. On average, 43% of our monthly income comes through electronic giving.
- The air conditioning is now working in the Welcome Center, but not in the Office.
- Roger is working with an Eagle Scout looking for a project to do. He wants to construct a patio and fire pit. Chad said the council would need to see a drawing, materials list, and check with Katie and Brent to see if there would be a conflict with outdoor space usage.
- Bill would like to suggest that the Property Committee have a representative on Council. The WE Team does not need to have two representatives. The Council position would need to be defined for the nomination teams sake. We agreed to move forward with this.
Vice President’s Report:
Endowment/Leave A Legacy Update:
- No Report
- No Report
- Since the last meeting, Chad brought 18 people to and from Tanzania on a successful Vision Trip.
- Bill will let the Nominating Committee know that we will be looking to fill a Property Committee Council position. He will check to see if we already have a job description written for this position.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Sue Johnson. Motion approved.