Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
December 3, 2013 (Approved)
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Bill Fredrick, Sue Johnson, Julia Sevald, Kathy Arveson and Melissa Johnson
Call to Order: President Bill Fredrick called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
Devotions: President Bill Fredrick led us in devotions.
Adoption of the Agenda: A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Julia Sevald to approve the agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Julia Sevald to approve the previous minutes. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
Treasurer/Director of Operations:
Notable November activity:
- · Total November offerings & receipts were favorable to budget by $8,101 and $9,160 to prior year. Disbursements are favorable to budget by $10,608 and to prior year by $7,102 for the month.
- · The general fund activity for the month was a gain of $18,936. This is favorable to budget for the month and to prior year.
- · Year to date, we are now unfavorable to budget by $32,007 and to prior year by $42,815. In order for the church to end the year at a break-even mark, each week’s Sunday offerings need to be at least $14,185. This is higher than any individual monthly average giving for all of 2013.
- · The cash balance has dropped to ($19,373), which means we are borrowing against our designated funds for normal monthly activity. Staff has been requested to cut out any expenses that are not necessary for the remainder of the year.
- · Adult Mission Trips was the only designated fund with significant activity this month.
- · Give to the Max appeal has generated $8,540 in the month of November.
- · The 2014 budget will be presented to the Congregational Meeting on December 8, 2013.
A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Melissa Johnson to approve the treasurer’s report. Motion approved.
Budget discussion: The main changes are in the giving lines and are for the better.
Questions we are anticipating at the congregational budget meeting:
- · What is our cash flow going to be?
- · What does our benefit package look like?
- · Were there any increases in compensation?
A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Sue Johnson that we present the Proposed 2014 column of the Budget Worksheet at the Congregational Budget Meeting that will be held on December 8, 2013.
- · No Report
Vice President’s Report:
Endowment/Leave A Legacy Update:
- · No Report
- · No Report
Pastor Glen will be in touch with Kathy about the details of possible relationship with the Liberian church.
We are in conversation with a local Christian daycare (New Vision Childcare Academy). They are looking for a new place to meet and there is a potential for them to come in and use our space. This is another great possibility for cooperative ministry. This could be another income stream.
- · Mortgage – Thrivent sent a four-page document of four scenarios if we want to refinance the mortgage. Alan Grant thinks it is a good idea to have financial approval to allow a team to renegotiate the loan. Larry Crane would be a great person to be on the committee. Kathy and Julia will move forward with this.
- · Year-end reports.
- · Christmas Party will start at 6:30pm on December 17th at Sue Johnson’s house.
- · None
- · Sue will send another e-mail about the Christmas Party to make sure everyone knows that it is at 6:30 instead of 7:00.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Julia Sevald. Motion approved.