Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
January 17, 2016
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Sue LaGue, Julia Sevald, and Christina Jobe
Guest: Allan Grant
Call to Order: President Sue LaGue called the meeting to order at 6:25 pm.
Devotions: Sue led us in prayer.
Adoption of the Agenda: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe to approve the agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe to approve the minutes from the November 6, 2016 and November 15, 2016 Executive Committee meetings. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
Sue mentioned that the Christmas Eve service was very moving. Everyone agreed. Sue presented Chad with a letter from Ron Welde, Sr. Choir President, with suggestions for the Christmas Eve worship schedule. Discussion ensued regarding how the choir, in addition to many other PoP members, complained to Sue, Allan and Julia about rescheduling the late service to 7:00 p.m. this year. Chad mentioned that he received many comments from people who were grateful for the 7:00 p.m. time and were moved by the service. Attendance at the services this year was as follows: 3:00 p.m. = 367; 5:00 p.m. = 372; and 7:00 p.m. = 199. Attendance at the 2015 Christmas Eve services was as follows: 3:00 p.m. = 423; 5:00 p.m. = 515; and 10:00 p.m. = 319. It was discussed that such changes in the schedule should be brought to the Executive Committee for discussion, and the congregation should be notified farther in advance.
- For the month of December, receipts were higher than expenses.
- The general/building fund activity for the month was a gain of $38,880. This is favorable to budget and prior year by $4,921 and $7,442, respectively.
- Total December offerings were higher than budget and prior year by $6,488 and $10,380, respectively. Other receipts for December were lower than both budget and prior year, mainly related to timing of building use income.
- Overall, expenses are relatively flat to budget but unfavorable to prior year by $2,418. The unfavorability to prior year is related to the timing of benevolence payments.
- There was a very nice response from the congregation to the year-end giving appeal and contributions related to that appeal were just over $18,000.
- For December year to date, receipts are lower than expenses. Offerings year to date are significantly lower than budget and prior year. Expenses are lower than budget and significantly higher than prior year. The increase over prior year is due to increased personnel expense as well as creating a building reserve fund to use for larger building repairs as they come up in addition to additional repairs expense in 2016.
- The general fund cash balance available for use is $63,042 at the end of December.
- Adult Mission Trips and Designated-Miscellaneous were the only designated funds with significant activity in December.
- As we move in to 2017 we will continue to track our offerings and contributions vs. budget and keep the congregation updated if we start falling behind.
The daycare is changing their hours to close at 7:00 p.m. instead of 10:30. This will happen sometime soon, but the exact effective date is unknown. We are unsure if/how this will impact their contract.
Vice President’s Report:
All of the Leave a Legacy allocated disbursement amount for 2016 was spent, except for $50 which was not requested.
Secretary’s Report: None
Senior Pastor’s Report: None
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Christina Jobe. Motion approved.