Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
September 19, 2017
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Allan Grant, Lynn Anderson, Melissa Johnson
Absent: Julia Sevald
Call to Order: President Allan Grant called the meeting to order at 6:30pm.
Devotions: Pastor Chad led us in prayer.
Adoption of the Agenda: A motion was made by Lynn Anderson and seconded by Melissa Johnson to approve the agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Lynn Anderson and seconded by Melissa Johnson to approve the minutes from the August 15, 2017 Executive Committee meeting. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
- Allan had a table at The Great PoP Get Together and was able to find volunteers to:
- Help with Sunday morning money counting
- Work on landscaping which will take place on October 28th
- Allan attended the Property Committee Meeting
- They have a good handle on things that must be done and things that can wait
Notable August activity:
- For the month of August, receipts were lower than expenses.
- The general/building fund activity for the month was a loss of $8,292. This is unfavorable to both budget and prior year by $6,042 and $1,579, respectively.
- Total August offerings were lower than budget and prior year by $11,170 and $6,879, respectively. We did receive $3,950 in August from the special appeal regarding our low summer giving. Other receipts for August were slightly lower than budget and the prior year.
- Overall, expenses are lower than budget and last year by $5,862 and $6,897, respectively. The favorability to budget and prior year is mainly related to the timing of benevolence payments as well as insurance and repairs expense.
- For August year to date, receipts are lower than expenses, resulting in a YTD loss of $49,228. This is unfavorable to both budget and prior year by $31,228 and $16,820, respectively.
- The general fund cash balance available for use is $1,914 at the end of August.
- The only designated funds with significant activity in August were the summer day camp and Adult Mission Trip funds.
- September will be the last month that Angel’s Daycare Center will occupy space in our building.
The executive team is reviewing and discussing options to help support and strengthen the financial position as the summer months have been more financially difficult than originally anticipated.
Vice President’s Report:
- There will be a few items for council to approve for Leave a Legacy at the October meeting (landscaping and shades for the sanctuary).
- It was decided that Melissa will still make a call for reports on the months that we do not meet as a full council. This packet will be sent out to the council for review.
Senior Pastor’s Report: None
Unfinished Business: None
- Warner is discontinuing our IT service (we are too small for them). We have an IT proposal – Nate is looking to see if there are other options available.
- Video system in the worship center – we need to get a lift to fix the third screen, but are looking for equipment advice before this happens so everything can happen in conjunction.
- Lynn has been in contact with the Crystal/New Hope Rotary. They are looking to do CPR training and are willing to do so free of charge.
- The December Council Meeting (Tuesday, December 19th) will be the holiday dinner at Allan’s house.
- We discussed when would be the best time to have the council retreat and what that retreat may look like.
- After looking at the calendar, it was decided that the Annual Meeting will be Sunday, January 28th, 2018.
- Chad will talk to the staff about next year’s council retreat and discuss a format and possible dates.
- Lynn will contact Dale Emter to discuss the possibility of the Rotary coming in to do CPR training. She will also look into if it would be possible for either the Crystal/New Hope or Brooklyn Park Rotary to donate AED equipment.
- Our next meeting will be Tuesday, October 17th. Allan is unable to attend. Lynn will lead both the Executive and Full Council Meetings.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Lynn Anderson and seconded by Melissa Johnson. Motion approved.