Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
December 11, 2012 (Approved)
Present: Tom Heinrich, Julia Sevald, Bill Fredrick, Pastor Chad Brekke, and Allan Grant
Call to Order: President Tom Heinrich called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
Devotions: Vice-President Bill Fredrick led us in devotions.
Adoption of the Agenda: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Bill Fredrick to approve the agenda. Motion Approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Bill Fredrick to approve the minutes from the November 13, 2012 Executive Committee meeting as written. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
Treasurer’s/Business Administrator’s Report: Notable November activity:
- · November envelope offerings were higher than budgeted. Total November receipts are favorable to budget by $4,507. Additionally, disbursements are favorable to budget by $6,540. The general fund activity for the month was a gain of $5,141. This is favorable to budget for the month and to prior year (loss of $26,345 in November 2011).
- · Year to date receipts are still unfavorable to budget by $14,324. However, disbursements are favorable to budget by $56,876 resulting in an overall positive variance to budget YTD of $42,552.
- · There were no designated fund with significant activity in November.
- · The entire amount of the mortgage reserve balance was transferred to the general fund in August to cover the building fund shortfall year to date. This account will need to be replenished to its full amount of $30,000 at the end of the year.
- · The budgeting process is coming along well and we will be ready for the December 16th congregational meeting. Drafts of the budget have been provided to the congregation, which is currently showing a net deficit for 2013 of $12,805. This includes using designated funds to fund certain line items in the budget in 2013. Additionally, to date, pledge cards are showing an overall average of 4.44% increase over 2012 giving. Pledge cards continue to come in and we will be watching this number closely.
- · Additionally, in 2013, the Treasurer’s report will be a combined report of the general fund and building fund in order to give more visability to the council and congregation.
A motion was made to accept the Treasures Report by Bill Fredrick and seconded by Allan Grant. Motion approved.
2013 Budgeting Discussion: Treasurer Julia Sevald provided the Executive Committee with a final draft of the 2013 budget. The committee reviewed the budget and recommended that it be brought to the Special Congregational Meeting on December 16, 2012 for final approval.
- · Update on Budget Meeting: There will be a Special Congregational Meeting on Sunday, December 16, 2012 beginning at 11:45 AM to review and approve the 2013 congregational budget and act on three proposed constitutional amendments.
- · President Heinrich shared a proposed agenda for the Special Congregational Meeting.
- · Update on Annual Meeting: The announcement of the Annual Meeting will be posted on-line and at the church. The meeting will be on Sunday, January 27, 2013 beginning at 11:45AM. This meeting will be to learn more about the various ministries at Prince of Peace and to elect the officers of the congregation.
- · Request for members to submit questions to be covered at the Congregational Annual Meeting on Sunday, January 27, 2013. Please submit your questions to President Tom Heinrich or Vice-President Bill Fredrick.
Vice President’s Report:
- · Leave a Legacy Update: No Report
Secretary’s Report: No Report
Pastoral Report: Pastor Chad’s reported on his work the past few weeks with Stewardship and the finalization of the budget. He also reported that the 2012 staff reviews are in process and he is pleased with the gifted and faithful staff he serves with here at Prince of Peace. He had completed his yearly report and it will be part of the January 27, 2013 Congregational Annual Meeting packet.
Unfinished Business: None
New Business: None
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Bill Fredrick and seconded by Julia Sevald. Motion approved.