Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
December 18, 2012 (Approved)
Present: Tom Heinrich, Jennifer Follestad, Bill Fredrick, Pastor Chad Brekke, AIM Natalia Terfa, Dan Ficken, Julia Sevald, Bev Alsleben, Dan Cassada, Chuck Krych, and Allan Grant.
Absent: Mary Gilleshammer
Call to Order: President Tom Heinrich called the meeting to order.
Devotions: President Tom Heinrich led us in the Lord’s Prayer
Adoption of Agenda: A motion was made by Dan Ficken and seconded by Chuck Krych to adopt the Council agenda as presented. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Bev Alsleben and seconded by Dan Cassada to approve the minutes from the November 20 Council meeting as written. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers
Treasurer’s/Business Administrator’s Report: Notable November activity:
- · November envelope offerings were higher than budgeted. Total November receipts are favorable to budget by $4,507. Additionally, disbursements are favorable to budget by $6,540. The general fund activity for the month was a gain of $5,141. This is favorable to budget for the month and to prior year (loss of $26,345 in November 2011).
- · Year to date receipts are still unfavorable to budget by $14,324. However, disbursements are favorable to budget by $56,876 resulting in an overall positive variance to budget YTD of $42,552.
- · There were no designated funds with significant activity in November.
- · The entire amount of the mortgage reserve balance was transferred to the general fund in August to cover the building fund shortfall year to date. This account will need to be replenished to its full amount of $30,000 at the end of the year.
- · The budgeting process is coming along well and we will be ready for the December 16th congregational meeting. Drafts of the budget have been provided to the congregation, which is currently showing a net deficit for 2013 of $12,805. This includes using designated funds to fund certain line items in the budget in 2013. Additionally, to date, pledge cards are showing an overall average of 4.44% increase over 2012 giving. Pledge cards continue to come in and we will be watching this number closely.
- · Additionally, in 2013, the Treasurer’s report will be a combined report of the general fund and building fund in order to give more visibility to the council and congregation.
A motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was made by Dan Ficken and seconded by Chuck Krych. Motion approved.
- · 2013 Budget Update: Julia Sevald has reported that the 2013 budget was approved by the congregation at the Special Congregational Meeting on December 16, 2012.
President Tom Heinrich reminded the Council that the Annual Meeting of the Congregation will be held on Sunday, January 27, 2013 beginning at 12:00 Noon in the sanctuary.
Vice-President’s Report: No Report
Secretary’s Report: No Report
Pastor Chad’s Report:
- · Pastor Chad’s reported on his work the past few weeks with Stewardship and the finalization of the budget. He also reported that the 2012 staff reviews are in process and he is pleased with the gifted and faithful staff he serves with here at Prince of Peace. He had completed his yearly report and it will be part of the January 27, 2013 Congregational Annual Meeting packet.
AIM Natalia’s Report:
- · GroupLife is gearing up for our Winter Session. Three new groups are starting up, and the curriculum is ready to go for our kick-off on January 6th.
- · Advent is going great. The church decorating went well, and the windows look beautiful. We’re aiming for a real tree next year (yipee!) and hoping to keep expanding our Christmas decorating We’re having a blast with the “Light ‘em up” campaign and Natalia thinks it’s been going really well. Hopefully people will continue to be Prince of Peace in our community and sharing those moments with us.
- · Only a little over a year ago we were wondering what the next year would bring. She is astounded where God has brought her and Prince of Peace in the past year. Looking forward to where God leads us in 2013.
Children and Family Ministry Report: December 2012
- Sunday School Recap
- Ended up with just over 200 kids in Sunday School. We have a small 3 year old class this year – we had very few children born for this age group. Still getting new families, and new interest in POP.
- Great group of Teachers/Leaders this year. A lot of parents are stepping up
- Christmas program is Checkin’ It Twice – will be performed on December 9th.
- Our PreK-K classes have learned the stories of Noah’s Ark and David. They have also had an Advent Celebration on December 2nd.
- Our 1st-6th did their Catechism Studies (each grade covered a different topic) and talked about the Israelites wandering in the Wilderness. They also created the Advent Wall
- MEA DIG (which was started last year) was once again a success. Thanks to Jackie Winters for running it this year.
- Sunday School offering continues to be a positive experience. Children like putting it into the fishbowls, and we continue to see good response.
- Childrens Ministry Events Recap
- Halloween party brought in around 60 students. We changed the time this year as well as offered pizza for lunch – all in all – good success.
- POPpers events have been well attended (20-25 people per event)
- Working with Community Life/WOFAL to promote the Cookie Baking Extravaganza
- Faith in Action Congregation/Sunday School Events
- Operation Christmas Child brought in 561 boxes and we already have a great start on donations for next year
- CEAP Toy Drive was a huge success – will send the toy donation number once they have been counted
- Working on the 3 PM Christmas Eve Family Service. It is mostly written/put together and will be working on finding leaders/readers. The Contemporary band will be doing the music and I think it is going to be great. The service will be focusing on bringing Joy to Jesus by bringing JOY to others.
Goals for Future
- Katie is working towards getting a Children and Family Intern from Augsburg (unpaid as they would get school credit). She has been in conversation with Jeremy Myers and will possibly try to get someone in place for summer. . .but aiming especially for this next school year.
- With Katie’s Maternity Leave fast approaching, she will be working extensively with Jackie Winters to make sure that Jackie has all the information that she needs. Jackie has been a great asset to the Children and Family Ministry Program @ POP.
- Katie continues to work with the Nursery Coordinators and Childrens Choir Director to make those ministry areas strong and vibrant – have recently started using a new curriculum in the Nursery, and have heard a good response from the Nursery Coordinators. Will work on fine-tuning it this summer. Childrens Choir will once again be doing a Spring Musical. Val Krych will be doing some work with the children’s choir in my absence this spring to offer support to Katie Hines.
Each ministry team is to submit a written report each month. These will be attached to the official minutes. Highlights will be included in these minutes.
Executive Team: No Report
Spiritual Development: No Report
Sunday Morning Experience:
- · CPR Training was held on Nov 29th they had discussion about possible expansion to Sunday School Teachers and other staff.
- · 2013 Veterans Day Discussion – Red Flowers represent living, White represents deceased. Flags worked well in Front of Alter.
Congregational Care: No Report
Outreach: No Report
The community life team has been working on trying to come up with a few events that they can start doing annually. They will continue to partner with other areas of ministry, but feel like they would like to have some events that are just Community Life.
They are partnering with the WAFOL group to help host a cookie baking, craft and sing along for the entire congregation on Dec 15th. Then they will be helping serve coffee and cookies on Dec 16th.
Starting in January they are going to be working on planning an Easter event on the Saturday before Easter. March 30th 2013. They are hoping to make this an annual event. They are also hosting the 2nd annual Easter Breakfast Easter morning and will be looking for volunteers to help.
The Community Life team is also going to be helping with the Pastor Jim appreciation event on March 17th. The Community Life team will be asking for volunteers to help with this. This event will be a potluck lunch after the 10:30 service. Details about this event are still being worked out.
The Community Life team has started to plan Rally Day for September 2013. They are going to be doing a “State Fair” theme day. They will be having food on a stick, games and rumor has it there will be “Blue Ribbon” events. Judging for the best pie, crafts, etc….
Unfinished Business: None
- · Discussion regarding the Continuing Resolution entitled “Disbursement of Funds Received from Corporate Donations and External Partnerships”. In light of needed changes in budgeting and to more closely identify the costs of various Ministries at POP the need for this Continuing Resolution was discussed. Julia Sevald made a motion to end the Continuing Resolution entitled “Disbursement of Funds Received from Corporate Donations and External Partnerships” as of December 31, 2012. The motion was seconded by Bill Fredrick. Motion approved.
- · Dan Ficken moved that the requirement of a 6 month notification of changed to the Continuing Resolution entitled “Disbursement of Funds Received from Corporate Donations and External Partnerships” be waived. The motion was seconded by Dan Cassada. Motion approved.
A motion was made by Bev Alsleben and seconded by Jennifer Follestad to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved. Meeting adjourned.