Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
May 21, 2013 (Approved)
Present: Bill Fredrick, Pastor Chad Brekke, AIM Natalia Terfa, Julia Sevald, Georgia Larson, Sue Johnson, Bev Alsleben, Dan Cassada, Erik Hasse, Morgan Holle and Melissa Johnson
Absent: Jennifer Follestad, Andrew Follestad
Guests: Jeremiah (Assistant Senior Patrol Leader), Fredrick Siben
Call to Order: President Bill Fredrick called the meeting to order.
Devotions: Melissa Johnson led us in Devotions
Adoption of Agenda: A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Dan Cassada to adopt the Council agenda as presented. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Dan Cassada and seconded by Bev Alsleben to approve the minutes from the April 16, 2013 Council meeting as written. Motion approved.
- · Jeremiah reported to us on what is currently happening with the scouting program. They are going to be participating in High Adventure Camps. One of them is a Sea Base Camp that is taking place in the Florida Keys. They will be snorkeling and shark fishing, among other things. The National Scout Jamboree is also coming up. This is a time where scouts have some time to work and play together. Jeremiah was asked if there is anything that Prince of Peace can do to help support his group. He could not think of anything specific, but did mention that the scouts would be working together with the Outreach team on the next highway cleanup, which is scheduled for Monday, June 10th.
Reports of Officers:
Treasurer’s Report: Notable April activity:
- · Total April offerings & receipts were unfavorable to budget by $20,388 and $24,067 unfavorable to prior year. This is because the budget had Easter included in April, rather than March. Easter was in April in the prior year as well. Disbursements are slightly favorable to budget by $1,419 and unfavorable to prior year by $12,851.
- · The general fund activity for the month was a loss of $10,770. This is unfavorable to budget for the month and to prior year based on the comments above regarding Easter.
- · Year to date, we are still overall unfavorable to budget by $31,734 and to prior year by $29,598.
- · The cash balance has dropped to $16,241. This is less than half of the balance at the beginning of the year.
- · Year to date Thrivent Choice dollars received is $5,424. This is slightly below budget of $5,667.
- · The only designated fund with significant activity was the Youth Plant Sale.
A motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was made by Dan Cassada and seconded by Erik Hasse. Motion approved.
- · The plaque honoring Pastor Jim on his title of Pastor Emeritus is now finished. We will take a Ministry Moment to present this to Pastor Jim.
- · Fred Siben came to talk about Thrivent Dollars.
- o Thrivent Choice is a program for Thrivent members – they are given up to $2,500 to be given to local organizations.
- o $17,764 came to Prince of Peace this past year. The total so far this year is $6,109, and we are on target to be around $24, 000 at year end.
- o Prince of Peace received 10% of the money distributed through the Choice Dollars Grant Fund (the largest percentage of any church.)
- o If Choice Dollars are not designated, they go into one big general fund on an annual basis.
- o The Leave a Legacy team has revised their bylaws. They will be ready for council review at our July meeting.
- o The Identity Theft Seminar will take place September 22nd.
Secretary’s Report: No Report.
Student Report: No Report.
Pastor Chad’s Report:
- · The staff is putting the finishing touches on the summer worship schedule.
- · There will be a special guest preaching on Wednesday, June 5th to kick off Wednesday night worship.
- · There is a lot of pastoral care going on right now with illnesses, treatments and funerals.
- · The Senior Pastor Conference was a great experience and a good opportunity to network with other leaders.
AIM Natalia’s Report:
- · Small groups are taking a break until fall.
- · The Marriage Retreat was great!
- · Katie Rykal, Brent Haglund, Nate Bergengren and John Myszkowski are going to be submitting written reports for future council meetings.
Each ministry team is to submit a written report each month. These will be attached to the official minutes. Highlights will be included in these minutes.
Executive Team: No Report.
Spiritual Growth: No Report.
Sunday Morning Experience:
- · The SME team had their ice cream social to thank all the team members. About 25-30 people attended. They talked about what went well, as well as things that could be improved. They would have liked to get more people there, but overall, the event was a success.
- · The Congregational Care team is looking for four more committee members.
- · They would like to do a training session for Befrienders before the next new member class, which will take place sometime in August.
- · The team is also looking to compile a list of emergency phone numbers provided by congregational members in case someone needs to be contacted while they are at Prince of Peace.
- · The Outreach group is contacting various church groups to volunteer for the cooking, serving, and cleanup. A core group of people would still be there to assist.
- · Service Saturdays will still be held in the summer, although there is some concern about attendance.
- · Bev attended a meeting with churches from the Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center communities. They are planning to meet monthly; this was a very positive meeting.
Community Life: No Report.
Youth and Family Ministry:
- · iRev/Revolution concluded for the season on May 15th.
- · There was an introduction to Axis for 6th grade families on May 19th.
- · Plans are coming along for the June 2nd Graduate Recognition.
- · Young Adult Ministry Bonfire Bible Studies will start when Wednesday night worship begins.
- · Backyard Bible Study will begin June 10th and meet each Monday throughout the summer.
- · Mission Week for 6th-9th graders will be July 24th-uly 27th.
- · We are talking about adding a youth council representative.
Modern Worship Arts:
- · Nate is planning a summer every-other Sunday schedule.
- · Nate has a list of things he is updating on the website.
- o There will be a Summer Worship subpage added under “Worship” on the website.
Unfinished Business: None
- · Julia sent around a sign up for the June 5th Wednesday night worship meal that the council will be serving. We will be grilling out. Erik Hasse can bring another grill. He can also get hamburger and hot dog donations from Cub Foods.
- · There will be no council meeting in June. Our next meeting will be July 16th.
A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Natalia Terfa to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved. Meeting adjourned.