COUNCIL MINUTES MARCH 2016

COUNCIL MINUTES MARCH 2016

DRAFT

Prince of Peace Lutheran Church

Council Meeting Minutes

March 15, 2016

Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Associate Pastor Natalia Terfa, Tim Marker, Christina Jobe, Julia Sevald, Mike Isenberg, Richard Habstritt, Dale Emter, Jeff Amstrup, and Jeremy Hanson

Absent: Sue LaGue, Linda Forkey, and Ryan Ohm

 Call to Order: Vice President Tim Marker called the meeting to order.

Devotions: Tim led us in devotions.

 Adoption of Agenda: A motion was made by Richard Habstritt and seconded by Mike Isenberg to adopt the Council agenda with the amended date of the meeting from February 15 to March 15.  Motion approved.

Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Jeremy Hanson to approve the minutes from the February 16, 2016 Council meeting as written.  Motion approved.

Reports of Officers:

Treasurer’s Report:

  • For the month of February, receipts were higher than expenses.
    • The general/building fund activity for the month was a gain of $2,193. This is favorable to budget and prior year by $8,394 and $5,177, respectively.
    • Total February offerings were higher than budget by $5,911 and higher than prior year by $9,636. Other receipts for February were also higher than both budget and prior year, mainly related to building use income.
    • Overall, expenses are higher than budget and prior year. The unfavorability to budget is mainly related to higher repairs expense and timing of music ministry expenses.
  • For February year to date, receipts were higher than expenses. Offerings year to date are higher than budgeted and flat to prior year. Expenses are slightly lower than budget but higher than prior year due to repairs, large equipment and gas & electricity expenses.
  • The general fund cash balance available for use is $78,203 at the end of February.
  • The designated fund with significant activity in February was the children/youth scholarships fund.

President’s Report: None

Vice-President’s Report:

The next Leave a Legacy meeting is scheduled for March 22. There are five requests that will be reviewed.  Changes to the document that dictates the operations of the committee will also be discussed.

Secretary’s Report: None

 Ministry Team Reports

Property Report

  • Met Sela to pick out shingles for chapel roof and go over project.
  • Replaced 5 cfl bulbs in welcome center and main hallway.
  • Fixed lock on custodial room and repaired the door handle to the resource room.
  • Light in conference room needs ballast.
  • Sela stopped by to check on sanctuary roof to see if patch was still secure. Not many companies would do that.
  • Fixed heater in vestibule by the Youth door by exchanging it with the one by the NE education exit door. Bill will get new motor to fix the old heater.
  • Adjusted north door so it would close faster. It would take two to three minutes to close in the lock position.
  • A&A Glass installed Youth and CLC hallway windows.
  • Sela with a crew of 8 re-shingled the Chapel roof in one day.
  • Mike of Sela repaired sanctuary roof the next day.
  • Sela hired Ed to install the fascia and soffits on Chapel. East side of Chapel looks very nice.
  • Checked north door that Lynell said wasn’t locking. Someone else was there and put a note on door to not use it. Checked it on Sunday morning but everything was working ok.
  • Work day = replaced ballast in old office and replaced electric heater motor by the NE exit door. Worked on kitchen dish washer to stop a leak in pipe on the top that feeds the washer but was not able to. Kathy will call company that maintains it to have it serviced. Worked on office sink to put hot water handle in right position. Kathy wants the sink to be replaced so she will call Weld and Sons. Drained air compressor of water and checked the salt in water softener.
  • Notice the garage roof is really in bad condition. Some areas there is only tar paper that is keeping the water out. On the Boy Scout section of the roof, the shingles are curling up tremendously. Garage roof needs to be replaced.
  • Think about some sort of camera security system for the north side of the building.

 Spiritual Development (Spiritship)                                                      

We have been reaching out to volunteers.

Sunday Morning Experience

  1. Conducted SME Meeting March 7th – Location: POP
    1. Attendees were: Chuck Dube, Dale Emter, Laura Erickson, Karla Fredrick, Chuck Krych, Kim Neisen
    2. Key Topics
      1. SME Committee Membership
        1. Looking to add a few members to the committee.
        2. Chuck Dube plans to move off the SME Committee in May.
      2. Spiritship Committee plans shared by Chuck Dube to reach out to PoP and share SME option for service.
      3. WE Team Coordinators
        1. Working to re-establish weekly teams. Efforts to date have provided the Head Ushers with a list of Greeters & Ushers the last month. Looking to increase the WE Teams to fill all roles for each week.
        2. Would enjoy having more WE Team Coordinators.
      4. 2016 Team Initiatives
        1. Invite Head Usher’s to visit SME Committee Meetings. None available for this month’s meeting.
        2. Discussed recruiting more Head Ushers for 2017 schedule.
        3. Establishing the WE Team Coordinators & implementing weekly teams of Ushers and Greeters – targeting April to have in place.
        4. Visitor Welcoming \ Visitor Bags – Discussed how to recognize visitors.
        5. Ice Cream Social – May
        6. Veteran’s Day – November
      5. First Aid / AED Training for Head Ushers was approved for funding. May look at alternative sources for training.
      6. Coffee & Cookie Ministry is doing well, and is looking for some added helpers.
      7. Pew Organization & Clean Up is doing well.
    3. Next SME Team Meeting will occur on Monday 4/4/16 at 6:00 pm

 Outreach

Park Brook Choir Concert – Tuesday, March 8 

  • 4:30 – 6:30 We will prepare and serve hot dogs, chips, cookies, apples and beverages and cleanup
  • 6:30 – 7:00 – Meet with parents. Jodi to prepare an ice breaker
  • 7:00 – 3rd – 5th grade Choir Concert. Volunteers welcome to attend
  • Richard spent $200 from Outreach funds on food and paper goods
  • March Food Share Month
  • Giggles and Dill – Sunday, March 13
    • A-N Last Names – Dill ($)
    • M-Z Last Names – Giggles (food)
    • CEAP dropping off collection bins and assisting with weighing and returning bins to CEAP
  • Feed the Need, Saturday, March 19 – Brent and youth collecting donations for CEAP at Brooklyn Park Cub. Two shifts – 9:00 -11:30 and 11:30 – 2.
  • Holy Week Food Collection – Katie may need some assistance with collection, weighing, tallying, etc. I let her know that we have members on point to assist as needed.
    • Baby food, diapers, formula and hygiene items, Palm Sunday, Sunday March 20  – Cathy and Craig
    • Breakfast foods, Maundy Thursday, March 24 – Richard
    • Fruit – canned, cups and juices, Good Friday, March 25   -Jodi
  • CEAP Recognition – Sunday, April 10
  • Blood Drive – Monday, April 25
  • Sign-up table – between servicesApril Avenues Birthday Party
  • Hope Lodge – Richard to begin planning with Cancer Support Group at their March meeting.
  • Date TBD
  • Judy volunteered to provide the cake
  • Judy to talk with target about gift card and cake donations

 

Completed Projects/Committee Updates:

  • March Brooklyn Avenues Birthday Party – Jodi hosted. The first Tuesday is not working out well for the party. Avenues to discuss other options, possibly holding the party on the birthday person’s actual birthday.

Next Meeting, Tuesday, April 12 @ 7:00, POP Welcome Center

 Community Life

Jerusalem viewing at the Science Museum Omnitheater on Sunday April 10th at 2pm

Easter will be last day to sign up.

The plan was to originally do this on February 28th but we hit a couple snags. After being told that buying tickets a week before the show should be enough advance time I found out that the show we had planned for was sold out. It probably ended up being the proverbial blessing in disguise though because the other snag was that it was the same weekend as the Red Bull Crashed Ice event and apparently on the weekend of that event last year, most parking in the area was sold out and any that was available sold for a jacked up rate.
The staff was kind enough to put lipstick on my pig of a project when it was announced to the congregation and we moved the event to Sunday April 10th. I picked that date because I thought it got the business of Easter behind us but was close enough to hopefully keep the spirit of the holiday in everybody’s minds as we went to see the show.

 Pastoral Reports:

Pastor Chad’s Report:

Sr. Pastor annual meeting in May.

Pastor Natalia’s Report:

  • GroupLife Spring Session is just on the horizon, and I can’t wait.  We’re going to be working our way through a DVD series by Pr Andy Stanley, called “Christian: It’s not what you think.”  I’m really excited to see where each group takes their discussions.
  • Oh man our Lent evening worship services have just solidified for me what a special place we have here at Prince of Peace.  I know God draws close to people all over the world, not just at POP, but the people that have stepped up in faith (and fear) to share their experiences of thin places have been such powerful moments… I’m simply overwhelmed by the various ways God draws near, and can’t wait to continue to hear from people about their own “thin places.”
  • I’m working with Brent and Katie to present a Prince of Peace Parent OneRead, around the book “The Collapse of Parenting” by Leonard Sax.  I think he is a gifted researcher and speaker, though sometimes controversial.  I cannot wait for the undoubtedly fruitful conversation that will come on April 6th at our discussion event.
  • As we look forward to Holy Week and Easter, don’t forget that these services are each unique and prime for invitation – especially our Palm Sunday and Easter Services.  Invite friends, neighbors and family to join you at POP this Easter, and encourage others to do the same!

Unfinished Business: None

 New Business: None

Action Items: None

A motion was made by Mike Isenberg and seconded by Jeremy Hanson to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved.  Meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Christina Jobe

Council Secretary

Share this post onShare on Facebook
Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.