Council Minutes April 2013

Council Minutes April 2013

Prince of Peace Lutheran Church

Council Meeting

April 16, 2013 (Approved)


Present:   Bill Fredrick, Pastor Chad Brekke, AIM Natalia Terfa, Julia Sevald, Georgia Larson, Sue Johnson, Bev Alsleben, Jennifer Follestad, Dan Cassada, Erik Hasse, Morgan Holle, Melissa Johnson and Andrew Follestad

Absent:  None


Call to Order:  President Bill Fredrick called the meeting to order.


Devotions:  Sue Johnson led us in DevotionsThe message was, “Let your heart take courage.”


Adoption of Agenda:  A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Jennifer Follestad to adopt the Council agenda as presented.  Motion approved.


Approval of Previous Minutes:  A motion was made by Morgan Holle and seconded by Sue Johnson to approve the minutes from the March 19, 2013 Council meeting as written.  Motion approved.


Reports of Officers:


Treasurer’s Report:

Notable March activity:

  • ·        Total March offerings & receipts were favorable to budget by $12,856 and $22,110 favorable to prior year.  This is because the budget had Easter included in April, rather than March.  Easter was in April in the prior year as well.  When March actuals are compared to April budget ($82,919) and prior year ($85,400), the results would have had less variance. Disbursements are unfavorable to budget by $3,164 and prior year by $6,620.  The general fund activity for the month was a gain of $3,956.  This is favorable to budget for the month and to prior year.
  • ·        Year to date, we are still overall unfavorable to budget by $12,952 but favorable to prior year by $6,728.  I am expecting us to lose ground to budget in April due to the budget timing with Easter.
  • ·        Year to date Thrivent Choice dollars received is $4,652. This is slightly above budget of $4,250.
  • ·        There were no designated funds with significant activity in March.

Julia mentioned that the quarterly budget meeting went well. It was discussed at this meeting that expenses are not the reason we are behind right now; giving is.


A motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was made by Bev Alsleben and seconded by Dan Cassada.  Motion approved.



President’s Report:

  • ·        President Bill Fredrick reminded us of the Council and Staff Retreat on April 20th. We will meet at Prince of Peace from 8:00am until 1:00pm.  Bill asked that we come prepared to discuss the seven selected strategies in Renew 52.
  • ·        We have received the EnerChange report from Xcel Energy. There are many places we can make changes, although we will have to weigh the start-up cost for some of the changes. This is something we will continue to look at and use as a resource.
  • ·        Bill shared that Allan Grant has drafted requirements for the title of Pastor Emeritus. Dan Ficken will create a plaque for Jim in recognition of this honor.


 A motion was made by Morgan Holle to bestow upon Pastor Jim Carlson the honor of Pastor Emeritus and seconded by Erik Hasse. Motion approved.


Vice-President’s Report: 

  • ·        Sue Johnson attended the March Leave a Legacy Committee meeting.
    • o       The Memorial Day celebration will consist of an announcement in the bulletin letting people know that that they can give a donation in memory/honor of a loved one.
    • o       The identity theft program has been moved from this spring until fall. (September 29th)
    • o       The committee found the by-laws. They are from 2005, so the next step will be to update these by-laws.


Secretary’s Report:  No Report.   


Student Report:

  • ·        Andrew Follestad shared that Confirmation classes will be over in two weeks. iRev and Axis will continue for a while. iRev is a study group that helps support kids during confirmation. They will be inviting 9th graders to be a part of this to make an easier transition for them next year. There is a group of youth and adults working together to brainstorm ways that the youth can become more involved.


Pastoral Reports: 

Pastor Chad’s Report:   

  • ·        Peace University planning is moving along well. Prince of Peace has been established as a host site and people from the community have already begun signing up.
  • ·        Pastor Chad addressed the budget and attendance concerns by reminding us that although it may be challenging, he chose this congregation and this church because it was going to be challenging. Prince of Peace is still here, still in this place, because this is where we are supposed to be. Our congregation is filled with strong, solid, faithful people.  It will be our job to teach people how to intentionally invite people to our church. We need to work together to figure out how to be faithful in this time, in this place.
  • ·        Pastor Chad is looking forward to the staff and council retreat on Saturday.


AIM Natalia’s Report:

  • ·        GroupLife has kicked off their spring session studying 1 Corinthians. There are 12 groups going at this time, and Natalia’s goal for fall is to double that number!
  • ·        She has narrowed down the list for POP Summer ONE READ down to three books: Love Does by Bob Goff, What We Talk About When We Talk About God by Rob Bell, and Daring Greatly by Brene’ Brown
  • ·        Natalia’s endorsement interview has been moved to October. It would have been a provisional endorsement – this should not change the time table for Ordination, which is still expected to take place in winter 2014.
  • ·        The staff looked at the schedule for the May date that was proposed for the Ministry Fair and there are several other events planned that same day. We will look to plan this for a Sunday in the fall, instead.
  • ·        Natalia is looking forward to the upcoming Marriage Retreat she is planning with Bonita Johnson. It is titled: Refresh, Renew, Rekindle and will take place on Saturday, May 4th. All married couples are welcome to join this retreat.
  • ·        Natalia and Brent are tentatively planning a Baptism Celebration for July 14th. This will be an event for anyone baptized in the past year and will help serve as a bridge between baptism and Sunday school.


Congregational Care Update:

  • ·        Another new member class was recently completed.


Council Reports

Each ministry team is to submit a written report each month.  These will be attached to the official minutes.  Highlights will be included in these minutes.


Executive Team:  No Report.


Spiritual Growth:  No Report.


Sunday Morning Experience:  

  • ·        SME is planning to hold another Ice Cream Social on May 15th from 6:30-7:30
    • o       They will invite all WE Team participants and church staff
    • o       The purpose is to thank all who have helped with weekly SME activities and obtain feedback on the experience
    • o       The event was successful last year – great fellowship, as well as generating a solid list of useful ideas used to improve the ministry


  • ·        Chuck Krych will work with Nate to see if they can incorporate a slide in the pre-service screen loop to identify the WE Team for that Sunday



Congregational Care:  No Report.


Outreach: The team met March 26th to discuss the following items:

  1. 1.      Information from Paulette Houglum from Lutheran Church of the Master
  2. a.       Collaborate and share ideas (Peace Meals)
    1. 2.      Advertising the Peace Meals
    2. a.       Make new flyers to deliver to various locations
    3. b.      Contact local churches asking for prayers/referrals
    4. c.       Advertise at local schools
    5. d.      Put it on the church sign
    6. e.       Post it on Facebook
    7. f.        Post in local paper/possible cable story
      1. 3.      April 25th Peace Meal
      2. a.       Candy Kvamme’s GroupLife will serve
        1. 4.      Set Team Goals
        2. a.       Increase attendance at Peace Meals to 50 by September
        3. b.      Continue Service Saturdays throughout the summer
        4. c.       Develop a Service Saturday yearly calendar that designates leaders for each event
          1. 5.      Worked on Outreach for the Community Life Egg Hunt
          2. a.       Wondering if each ministry team shouldn’t do their own outreach
            1. 6.      Hosting a community meeting at POP to discuss working together with local churches
            2. a.       Working with Steve Larson from Redeemer – currently looking at dates
              1. 7.      POP hosting Parenting with a Purpose meetings with a meal
              2. a.       Outreach will be supportive of this, but not in charge
                1. 8.      New members stepping up to help the team
                2. a.       Sue Johnson is now a part of this team



Community Life: 

  • ·        March was a great month for Community Life, with three big events put on for the congregation and community of POP
    • o       Luncheon for Pastor Jim on March 17th – Close to 300 people attended this celebration.
    • o       Saturday March 30th – Prepared the Easter Breakfast and held the Easter event for all POP families, which included an egg hunt, egg dying, crafts and pizza. This was a fun, well attended event, and the team is already looking ahead to next year.
    • o       Serving Easter Breakfast – Jack Zimmer joined the team to bake cinnamon rolls.
    • ·        The team will meet next in May to begin preparation and planning for Rally Day



Unfinished Business: 

  • ·        Lynell has asked the Council to be responsible for the meal for the first night of Summer Worship on Wednesday, June 5th. Julia Sevald volunteered to help organize this. We will discuss the meal as the date approaches.
  • ·        There will be no council meeting during the month of July. Pastor Chad, AIM Natalia Terfa, Sue Johnson and Melissa Johnson will be absent for the June council meeting.


New Business: None


A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Morgan Holle to adjourn the meeting.  Motion approved.  Meeting adjourned.


Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Johnson



Share this post onShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *