Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
December 17, 2013
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Bill Fredrick, Sue Johnson, Melissa Johnson, Julia Sevald, Erik Hasse, Morgan Holle, Bev Alsleben
Absent: Dan Cassada, Jennifer Follestad, AIM Natalia Terfa, Georgia Larson
Call to Order: President Bill Fredrick called the meeting to order.
Devotions: President Bill Fredrick led us in devotions.
Adoption of Agenda: A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Erik Hasse to adopt the Council agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Morgan Holle and seconded by Erik Hasse to approve the minutes from the November 19, 2013 Council meeting as written. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
Notable November activity:
- · Total November offerings & receipts were favorable to budget by $8,101 and $9,160 to prior year. Disbursements are favorable to budget by $10,608 and to prior year by $7,102 for the month.
- · The general fund activity for the month was a gain of $18,936. This is favorable to budget for the month and to prior year.
- · Year to date, we are now unfavorable to budget by $32,007 and to prior year by $42,815. In order for the church to end the year at a break-even mark, each week’s Sunday offerings need to be at least $14,185. This is higher than any individual monthly average giving for all of 2013.
- · The cash balance has dropped to ($19,373), which means we are borrowing against our designated funds for normal monthly activity. Staff has been requested to cut out any expenses that are not necessary for the remainder of the year.
- · Adult Mission Trips was the only designated fund with significant activity this month.
- · Give to the Max appeal has generated $8,540 in the month of November.
- · The 2014 budget was approved at the Congregational Meeting on December 8, 2013.
A motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was made by Morgan Holle and seconded by Erik Hasse.
President’s Report: No Report.
- · The Leave a Legacy Committee voted to recommend to the Congregational Council that a benevolence disbursement of $250.00 be made for the “Trunk O Treat” community outreach event held for Halloween 2013.
A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Bev Alsleben to approve benevolence disbursement of $250.00 for the “Trunk O Treat” community outreach event held for Halloween 2013.
Secretary’s Report: No Report.
Student Report/Update from Brent: No Report.
Pastor Chad’s Report:
- Please see attached year-end report submitted by Pastor Chad.
- Pastor Chad talked about the New Vision Daycare Academy that will be leasing space at Prince of Peace. The licensing is in progress. They should get their final approvals this week.
- Pastor Glen and the Liberian Church will start worshiping on the first Sunday in January. They will start at 11:30 am with Sunday School and then begin worship at noon.
- Could we do a joint coffee hour/welcome?
AIM Natalia’s Report: No Report.
Each ministry team is to submit a written report each month. These will be attached to the official minutes. Highlights will be included in these minutes. This month the teams are sending their year-end reports to Lynell, so there will be no submitted reports with the minutes.
Executive Team: No Report.
Spiritual Growth: No Report.
Sunday Morning Experience: No Report.
Congregational Care: No Report.
Outreach: No Report.
Community Life: No Report.
Modern Worship Arts: No Report.
Children and Family Ministry: No Report.
Unfinished Business: None
- Council members should be working on the end of the year reports. Please get these to Lynell by Friday, December 20th.
Make sure to put the following dates on your calendar:
- Saturday, February 15th – Our council/staff retreat will be held in the morning – plan on being here until about 1:00.
A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Sue Johnson to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved. Meeting adjourned.