Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Council Meeting Minutes
August 15, 2017
Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Associate, Allan Grant, Lynn Anderson, Mike Isenberg, Scott Reitz, Jeff Hanson, Melissa Johnson, Julia Sevald, Linda Forkey, Rachel Follestad, Pastor Natalia Terfa, Richard Habstritt, Dale Emter
Call to Order: President Allan Grant called the meeting to order.
Devotions: Pastor Chad led us in devotions.
Adoption of Agenda: A motion was made by Linda Forkey and seconded by Julia Sevald to adopt the Council agenda. Motion approved.
Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Julia Sevald and seconded by Jeff Hanson to approve the minutes from the June 27, 2017 Council meeting as written. Motion approved.
Reports of Officers:
Ministry Team Reports
Sunday Morning Experience
Report from SME Meeting on Aug 7, 2017
Attendees were: Steve Young (Head Usher guest), Laura Erickson, Kim Neisen, Darrel Wyszynski, and Dale Emter. Not Present: Karla Fredrick, Jim Knucky, Joel Odens, Rick Swanson, and George Umolac.
- Head Usher feedback for July provided by Steve Young, and by Kevin Wilms at June SME meeting.
- Replacement Lead Head Usher – Rick Swanson will team with Jon Barfknecht to help schedule head ushers for 2018, and will take over the Lead role moving forward.
- Head Usher recruiting for 2017-18 schedule – Dave Keller and Frank Clinton have agreed to become head ushers, and more are being invited. SME will coordinate a Head Usher meeting once we receive responses for recent invites.
- 1st Aid \ CPR Training – In addition to Rick Swanson’s efforts, we have found that Brian Wilms is able to provide the training. Training will be coordinated after the additional Head Ushers are in place.
- Visitor & New Member Welcoming – The Head Usher location moved to allow the Welcoming Cart to be used as “Visitor Center” to support a more structured approach for new members. Spiritship Committee to coordinate staffing of “Visitor Center”.
- 10:30am Worship Wrap Up – Looking to resume when we return to regular worship schedule.
- Pew Organization & Clean Up – no update available.
- WE Teams – Coordinators continued to follow-up on 2017 Pledges.
- SME Church Council rep for 2018 – Joel Odens has accepted Nomination.
- WE Team Social being planned for October.
- Next SME Team Meeting will occur on Monday 9/11/17 at 6:00 pm (Devotional = Joel Odens)
Children and Family Ministry:
August 2017 Council Report from Katie Rykal
LOOKING BACK/MOMENT OF PRAISE
- Summer Day Camp has once again been busy, but great…We had a few new staff members this Summer that fit into the program in their own way, and some of our former staff was able to help out on occasion as needed. As Katie writes this we still have two weeks left and they are on the bigger side of numbers (which is awesome)
- Had a great weekend/week at WAPO. We had beautiful weather, awesome campers and a great theme of FEARLESS, focusing on Joshua 1:9 ~ Be Strong and Courageous, Do Not Be Terrified. Do not be discouraged for the Lord is with you wherever you go.
- Gearing up towards Sunday School: Registration, getting teachers lined up, writing curriculum, and working ahead into January
- Continuing to work on Maternity leave and getting everything in place to be gone. As of right now, she is still on track to have the baby towards the end of October.
- Have already ordered the bounce houses/games for the Great POP Get Together. Will order food a little closer to the date, and will pull out the prizes and get more ordered after Summer Day Camp is over
- Will need to hire a 3rd Nursery Coordinator as Teri Hansen stepped down in May. We have been able to manage it through the summer, but will need a 3rd for the School Year.
Youth and Family Ministry:
Pastor Chad’s Report:
The summer season of ministry continues to be full of meaningful worship, outreach and lots of comings and goings. POP members have come and gone from Africa, Jamaica, Colorado, Wisconsin, and the Boundary Waters, just to name a few. There is also lots of energy and enthusiasm each day here on our own campus with day camps running all summer!
Here are just a few highlights:
- Our staff has done a great job of maintaining a high standard of engaging worship and responsive ministry as summer travel plans are coordinated to make sure our ministry thrives while people take turns being away.
- The Vision Trip to Tanzania in June was incredible. Donations in excess of $40,000 have already been made to our Africa Fund and distributed to ministry partners in Tanzania as a direct result of our June visit. With an age range among our travel group from 16 to 83, a life changing experience was shared by all.
- We have enjoyed a series of wonderful guest speakers/preachers during our “Summer Voices” Wednesday eve services.
- Planning is well underway to kick off the fall season of ministry with the Great POP Get Together (Rally Sunday) set for September 10.
- The Angel’s Learning Center Daycare will be moving out of POP to expand their operation in a new location. We will need to assess and respond to the financial impact of this transition.
- There have been several joys and sorrows experienced by POP members during these summer months. Our ministry staff and entire congregation have surrounded families with compassionate ministry and service in every situation.
Pastor Natalia’s Report:
It’s been a great summer here at POP. Natalia loves our day camp, which fills the building with kids and noise and hugs all summer long. She’s so thankful for Hayley Reiser (formerly Broten) for being our day camp director and for the assistants Bailey and Kaitlyn and the many volunteers that have helped her pull it off week after week. Natalia has been lucky enough to eat lunch with these kiddos a few times a week and it’s always pure joy in human form.
Summer worship on Sundays and Wednesday has been filled with powerful moments of God’s grace and love. She hopes you’ve been able to keep up with sermons via the podcast and web. With all of us missing time at church it’s really great to have these ways to stay connected.
Rally day is coming up, Make sure you have a plan for your team and what they will do for the ministry fair! This is the best way to get your ministry in front of people and see what your crew can do in the upcoming year
GroupLife will kick off at the end of September – so we’ll be encouraging people to consider being a part of a group from Rally Day on through the end of the month. If you are not a part of a group yet, please consider being a part of one this fall.
Lastly, Natalia wants to say a quick thanks for all the support in the wake of the collapse at Minnehaha Academy. She and Sam appreciated the time people took to check in and offer to help. Keep praying, as the school year approaches and things are still unsettled and unsettling.
Highs and Lows:
A motion was made by Linda Forkey and seconded by Julia Sevald to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved. Meeting adjourned.