Council minutes May 2014

Council minutes May 2014

Prince of Peace Lutheran Church

Council Meeting

May 20, 2014

 Present: Pastor Chad Brekke, Bill Fredrick, Sue Johnson, Melissa Johnson, Julia Sevald, Morgan Holle, Erik Hasse, Rachel Henderson, Richard Habstritt, Tim Marker, Georgia Larson

Absent: Intern Pastor Natalia Terfa

Guest:Nate Bergengren

Call to Order: President Bill Fredrick called the meeting to order

Devotions: Melissa Johnson led us in devotions.

Adoption of Agenda: A motion was made by Morgan Holle and seconded by Erik Hasse to adopt the Council agenda. Motion approved.

Approval of Previous Minutes: A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Rachel Henderson to approve the minutes from the April 22, 2014 Council meeting as written. Motion approved.

Guest Report:

  • Wednesday night services are being coordinated with Pastor Glen as we will be sharing space for the summer.
  • The website is in need of updating, which is one thing Nate is focusing on at this time. I
  • n two years, some amazing, positive improvements have been made when it comes to music and meeting the needs of people that are not interested in the “traditional” service.
  • Jacob Strodahl is coming on as an intern, and his focus will be helping to make the social media more meaningful to people.
  • The 10:30 service typically sees about 100 less people than the 9:00 service, which is an increase since before Nate arrived.

Reports of Officers:

Treasurer’s Report:

Notable April activity:

  • April receipts were greater than expenses. The general/building fund activity for the month was a gain of $5,896. This is on budget for the month and favorable to prior year. The favorability to prior year is due to the timing of Easter where last year Easter was in March.
  • Total April offerings & receipts were slightly favorable to budget and favorable to prior year due to Easter timing. Expenses for the month are slightly unfavorable to budget and comparable to prior year.
  • Year to date we are still sitting in a positive position vs. the budget and prior year. We are $20,700 favorable to budget and $44,878 favorable to prior year. This is partially due to a change in the way we are accounting for our mortgage payment in order to more closely align with the Thrivent statement as well as increased giving and building use income. This favorability should continue throughout the year.
  • The general fund cash balance available for use remains healthy at $40,463 for the year.
  • Youth Missions and Youth Plant Sale designated funds had significant activity in April.

A motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was made by Rachel Henderson and seconded by Richard Habstritt. Motion approved.

President’s Report:

Property Committee Report:

  • Received the 4th proposal for the LED lights. It looks good for energy savings, affordable costs and more lighting. Not all lights in sanctuary will get replaced at this time. Phase 2 will address the remaining incandescent light bulbs in about 3 years.
  • Had Egan Electric install 2 220v 50amp outlets for Easter brunch. Had 18 waffle irons going with no outages.
  • Three pews were replaced with new upholstery from JP Furniture at a cost of $343.25.
  • For information purpose and future budget planning, Waggoner’s, Inc. of Hutchinson, Ks. (Doug Nech) was here on April 9 and gave an estimate of $31,200-$31,800 to re-upholster all of the permanent and movable pews in the sanctuary. 
  • Fixed NE corner door so it wouldn’t stick if the nursery needs to use that door to get out.
  • Touch-up painted class rooms 4,5 and 6 of nursery to pass inspection.
  • Trimmed up the 3 evergreen trees on SE corner of sanctuary so no one can camp out behind them.
  • Will remove the pine bushes along the SE wall and replace with more pleasing plants or bushes.
  • Will trim the remaining lilac bushes after they have bloomed.
  • Considering having only 3 applications of fertilizer instead of 4 to save money.
  • Railings need to be repaired by north door.
  • Need to find water leak by small windows in sanctuary
  • Received carpet cleaner on May 7. It came from the manufacturer on a pallet which needs to be unpacked.

  Vice-President’s Report:

Disbursement Requests: None

 The Leave a Legacy team has set a tentative date of October 12 to hold a fall seminar on fraud.

 Secretary’s Report: None

 Pastoral Reports:

Pastor Chad’s Report:

  • Planning on an outreach to the neighborhood – a brochure focused on children’s ministry letting people know what is available to them. “Free cards” for neighbors of the congregation to attend Sunday School at Prince of Peace.
  • In the fall, there will be a five week curriculum that includes small group lessons, which will allow more of our congregation will be involved with what we are focusing on in GroupLife.
  • Tanzania fundraising was fantastic – they surpassed their goal.
  • Staff has constructed and planned the summer schedule, which includes vacations, when people are preaching, etc.

 Intern Pastor Natalia’s Report:

  • GroupLife is in the middle of the spring session and the comments from groups are so positive.  People are loving Jonah!  Looking forward to the break for the summer as we look ahead to what Groups might spend time on in the fall.  
  • There will be an adult education opportunity this summer after worship to discuss the Gospel text and sermon.  It’s going to be a great chance to connect with each other on a different level and Natalia is really looking forward to it!  
  • She has had 5 funerals in the past 6 weeks, so it has been an interesting spring for her. Pastoral care is becoming something that Natalia is really feeling called toward, and apparently God is giving her lots of opportunity to do so!  It has been an honor to be with POP families during these difficult times, and she has been blessed by them as well.  
  • Other than that – trying to figure out a timeline for approval, call and ordination.  It’s not as easy as they’d hoped to get a timeline figured out, but it’s a work in progress

 Council Reports

Each ministry team is to submit a written report each month. These will be attached to the official minutes. Highlights will be included in these minutes.

 Executive Team: No Report.

 Spiritual Growth:

After some discussion with staff members, Georgia would like to rethink the way we look at spiritual development. We live in a space of abundance – how can we make use of that? We want to help people to be more of who they are. Georgia would like to focus her efforts more in this area. One question that she would like to focus on is: How do you help people determine and utilize their spiritual gifts?

 Sunday Morning Experience:

  • The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 21st.
  • The meeting this month is the “feedback” session with WE Team members that Tim is going to lead during the ice cream social.

 Congregational Care:

  • They had new members class on May 18th. It was a good turnout; lots of people from many different religious backgrounds. It’s great to see Prince of Peace still growing.

 Outreach:

We had an Outreach Meeting on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 with Lisa Jacobson representing Brooklyn Avenues. Here is a list of completed and up coming events and projects the Committee is working on:

 1)      On Thursday, April 24, 2014 we served 275 meals to the students and parents of Park Brook Elementary prior to the 4th to 6th Grade Choir Concert.

We received thank-you notes from both the principal, Scott Taylor, and the music teacher; students were appreciative of Prince of Peace’s effort.

 2)      On Monday, April 28, 2014 we helped serve a free meal at Lord Of Master Church in Brooklyn Park. This is part of the Fish and Loaves program. We do this every month. We are considering doing a second day, which will be further discussed at the next meeting. Bev Alseben coordinates this.

  • At the meal in April, we feed 110 people with 9 volunteer from Prince of Peace.
  • We also have four volunteers serving meals at Lord of the Masters on either Tuesday or Wednesday of each week.

 3)      On Friday, May 2, 2014, we served a meal at River of Life Church in North Minneapolis.

  We prepared and served 107 meals and had 19 volunteers.

 4)      At our last meeting, we received an update from Sally Onstad on the Summer Reading program. The first step is asking the congregation to donate new or used books for the Book Mobile, which will be going to parks and apartments this summer. This is going on now through the end of May 2014.

 The Book Mobile schedule for weeks of July 21, 28, August 4, and 11 is as follows:

                      Monday and Wednesdays

                             Autumn Ridge Apartments   Noon to 2 pm

                               Eden Park                                   3 pm to 5 pm

                     Tuesday and Thursdays

                               The Willows                             Noon to 2 pm

                                 Park Haven                             3 pm to 5 pm      

5)      We continue watch very closely the Homeless Youth Program that is being championed by Brooklyn Area Ministerial Alliance and Brooklyn Avenues. A committee is working on a Choral Concert for Saturday, October 11, 2014 and is now looking for a professional event planner. This will be a fundraising event for the youth homeless shelter.

6)      On Sunday, May 18, 2014, we will clean up Highway 81. This year this will be called “ JEANS and JUNK”; the congregation will be encourage to wear jeans to church and help with the clean up after the service which they are attending. Sue Johnson is coordinating this project.

7)      I’m working with Sue Fodstad of the Cancer Group on some special events with the Hope Lodge. We are considering three service events in 2014. Sue and I will meet with them on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 to come up with a plan.

8)      Bev Alseben helped organize lunch for BAMA on Wednesday of this week where 30 members of the community attended to discuss various Community Outreach ideas. I hope to attend these meetings in the future.

9)      The Reading buddy program at Park Brook will end next week, I know that my experience has been tremendous and we are looking to get more participation in the future.

Community Life:

  • Community life hosted a successful game night in May, people attending had a great time and asked if we would do it again.  Rachel is working on finding a date to get a group of tickets for a Twins game on a Sunday afternoon in July or August.  That will be our summer event.  After that, we will focus on Rally Day and pick up with events again this fall.

Modern Worship Arts:See Guest Report.

Children and Family Ministry: None

Youth and Family Ministry:

  • Encouraging youth & families to be present at worship remains his priority.  Brent thinks we can build opportunities off of that.  This past Sunday for example people could worship then head right out for highway clean up.  He will encourage Axis small groups to meet up before or after worship whenever possible, likewise with high school & college age groups.
  • Attached you’ll see our summer ministry opportunities for middle school.
  • High school ministry will move to Monday nights, hosted by various families.
  • Brent will be making a push this summer to recruit more of a team to be directly involved in relational ministry with high school youth.  Currently, it’s essentially him (although Nikk is a fantastic help) & I know that is limiting our potential.

Unfinished Business: None

New Business: The council has been asked to coordinate the June 4th evening meal. We are responsible for the main dish only. Natalia is looking into securing a food truck. If she does not secure this, we will take care of this and do a barbeque.

Action Items:

  • Committee members: before the next council meeting, set up a time with Bill to do a mid-year review.
  • Summer Schedule:
    • Tuesday, June 10th: 6:30 – Exec Council

       7:00 – Full Council

    • Tuesday, July 8th: 6:30 – Exec Council

   *No Full Council in July

    • Tuesday, August 12th : 6:30 – Exec Council

             7:00 – Full Council

A motion was made by Sue Johnson and seconded by Morgan Holle to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved. Meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Johnson

Secretary

Share this post onShare on Facebook
Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *